Wednesday 24 May 2017

Heads Up - The importance of mental strength and half marathon running!


"I’m about five inches from being an outstanding golfer. That’s the distance my left ear is from my right." ~ Ben Crenshaw 
 The quote above, although about golf, is equally relevant when it comes to long distance running. How many times have we put on the running shoes and reluctantly headed out the door for that dreaded amble, preferring to be anywhere except on that godforsaken road? That is what faced me today on a 10 mile steady pace run. From the minute I took the first step to my last, I just couldn't get into any rhythm and my mind was in the opposite corner of the ring throughout. It could be lack of sleep, bad diet, overtraining or somedays just feeling flat that can lead to this mental misery. The only answer - keep battling through it and the results on the other side are far more rewarding than a run you complete any other day!
These type of mental discomfort will inevitably touch base at some point on marathon day so it's best to battle through it and dream of the warm comfort of that finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment