- The Spectacular Views. Kerryhead is one of the hidden gems of the Wild Atlantic Way. There scenery on all sides is truly amazing.
- The Beach. Miles of golden sand stretch as far as the eye can see. And the water is as pure as it can get.
- The Run. A tough but rewarding run. Its a Half Marathon that really earns its name. Don't forget there is also a 10k on the day.
- The Community. You are guaranteed a warm welcome with the inhabitants turning our to cheer you on and give you some local advice.
- The After Party. Flahivse bar is the venue with B-B-Q, Beer garder, Live Music and there is even talk of a Rodeo Bull.
Friday, 28 April 2017
Wednesday, 26 April 2017
Friday, 21 April 2017
- Incorporate some hills into your training routine. The Half on the Head (and the 10k) contain a number of uphill climbs.
- Pace yourself at the start. Most of first 3 miles of both races is a gradual uphill climb which can sap the energy from your legs. A slow steady pace will stand to you later in the run.
- Know the course. If you get a chance do a drive of the route the day before. You will be more comfortable during the run. We will also be posting our mile by mile guide here in the coming weeks.
- The wild atlantic ocean is a great remedy for sore muscles. Go for a paddle in the sea at the end of the race. It is the ultimate massage for tired limbs - both invigorating and refreshing.
- Enjoy the views. They will distract you and make the run that bit easier.
Thursday, 20 April 2017
|Week 1||3 miles||4 miles||Rest||3 miles||4 miles||Rest||5 miles easy||19|
|Week 2||3 miles||5 miles||Rest||5 miles||4 miles||Rest||6 miles easy||23|
|Week 3||3 miles||5 miles||Rest||5 miles||4 miles||Rest||7 miles easy||24|
|Week 4||3 miles||5 miles||Rest||5 miles||3 miles||Rest||8 miles easy||24|
|Week 5||3 miles||6 miles||Rest||6 miles||3 miles||Rest||9 miles easy||27|
|Week 6||3 miles||6 miles||Rest||6 miles||3 miles||Rest||10 miles easy||28|
|Week 7||3 miles||6 miles||Rest||6 miles||3 miles||Rest||10 miles easy||28|
|Week 8||3 miles||6 miles||Rest||6 miles||2 miles||Rest||8 miles easy||25|
|Week 9||3 miles||4 miles||Rest||4 miles||2 miles||Rest||Race Day|
Above is a fairly simple training plan which should get you over the line for the Half on the Head which takes place on June 17th 2017. Be flexible with the days if required but try and get the long run in every week and do try to match the total miles which will stand you in good stead on the day.
Wednesday, 19 April 2017
Tee Shirts are almost ready for printing. Cool design this year. Colors and shirts yet to be finalised but it will something similar to the above. Hope you all like it. Don't forget Saturday 17th June is the date for both the Half Marathon & 10k so get your training plan sorted and register online now at www.halfonthehead.com
Tuesday, 18 April 2017
Looking for a stunning half-marathon/10k? The Half on the Head follows a wonderfully scenic course from Ballyheigue Village right around Kerryhead (one of the closest places to the USA). The 13.1 mile run takes you along one of the most unspoilt portions of the Wild Atlantic Way. Run beside the Shannon Estuary with views across the river mouth to the coast of Clare. Glancing back you will see the rugged Kerry coastline stretching to the town of Ballybunion. You might even catch a glimpse of the fabled Cliffs of Dooneen. Upon rounding the point of Kerryhead you will experience the magnificent panorama of Tralee Bay with Mount Brandon and the Maherees as a backdrop. Further along you have stunning views of the coastline stretching from Ballyheigue beach to Banna and Fenit with Blennerville Windmill in the distance.
Kerryhead 10k: A 10k Run will also take place on the day. The 10k will start from outside Flahives Pub just after 11am and follows the Half Marathon route for the first 3 miles before levelling out on Kerryhead giving you a chance to drink in the magnificent views of Tralee Bay stretching from Banna Beach to Brandon Mountain. To register please click the REGISTER ONLINE button below and select the Kerryhead 10k option.
Entry to the Half on the Head is just €40. The fee includes all of the following: your timing chip, a customized technical running shirt, goody bag, a customized finishers medal, and of course our famed after race party and Bar-B-Q
Check out our Story Map of the Route View Story Map
Check out our facebook page for the latest info: View Facebook
We look forward to welcoming you on the day.